Build the future, spark innovation and align your career with purpose.
McKinstry is innovating the waste and climate harm out of the built environment and creating lasting impact. Together, we’re building a thriving planet.
Buildings are a leading contributor to the climate crisis, generating nearly 40% of total global energy-related carbon emissions. We’re making a lasting impact on our industry and within our communities by addressing the climate, affordability and equity crises through:
- renewables and energy services
- engineering and design
- construction and facility services
To get where we’re going, we need big thinkers, problem solvers and collaborative mindsets. Does that sound like you?
The Opportunity with McKinstry
Our engineering team is seeking a Lead Electrical Engineer to help scale our Zero+ Decarbonization Planning offering. In this role, you will support the delivery of complex building, high performance district energy, and portfolio-wide electrification and decarbonization projects. Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluate and review existing building electrical systems. This requires you to coordinate and conduct site walks and interpret available documentation. You will determine and summarize existing loads, available electrical capacity, constraints, and opportunities for electrification.
- Work hand in glove with our mechanical engineers to define opportunities and appropriate scopes for electrification projects based on client needs, budget, and existing infrastructure constraints. Electrical engineers are involved earlier and have more system selection influence than the typical MEP design process.
- Evaluate electrical infrastructure capacity to interconnect on-site solar, BESS and potentially other DERs.
- Evaluate on-site PV design concepts or work with other internal McKinstry resources to do so.
- Evaluate client EV charging needs or work with other internal McKinstry resources to do so.
- Document your electrical design solutions with diagrams and system schematics using Revit, CAD, PDF and/or other industry drawing tools.
- Document the electrical scope of work associated with your designs and report on system design and capacity constraints.
- Interact with our in-house construction and estimating team to develop, review and in some instances, iterate, on cost estimates and electrical design concepts.
- Select (or create) tools and approaches to analyze building electrical systems.
- Collaborate with design team members to share interim results, inform design, and disseminate information throughout the predesign and conceptual design processes.
- Engage with and present your work to clients.
What You Need to Succeed at McKinstry
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering
- Minimum of five years progressive engineering experience
- PE or EIT, or other recognized professional designation strongly preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of electrical design principles to the National Electric Code.
- Knowledge of HVAC basics is beneficial.
- Proficiency in BIM or CAD software (Revit preferred), with Microsoft Office, and with Bluebeam Revu.
- Experience with PV design software such as Helioscope and PVSyst
- Exposure to and/or experience with some or all of the following systems:
- Solar PV.
- Paralleled Battery energy storage systems.
- Load management systems.
- Load shedding systems.
- Building Management/Automation Systems
- Industrial Automation (SCADA / PLC / DCS)
When it comes to the basics, we have you covered:
- Competitive pay
- 401(k) with employer match and profit-sharing plan
- Paid time off and holidays
- Comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision with low or zero deductible options and low out of pocket maximums
People come first at McKinstry, and we go beyond the basic benefits with:
- Family formation benefits, including adoption and IVF assistance
- Up to 16 weeks paid parental leave
- Transgender inclusive benefits
- Commuter benefits
- Pet insurance
- “Building Good” paid community service time
- Learning and advancement opportunities via McKinstry University
- McKinstry Moves onsite gyms or reimbursement for remote workers
See benefit plan documents for complete details.
If you’re driven by our vision to build a thriving planet together, McKinstry is the place to build your career.
The pay range for this position is $95,310- $155,700 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay information is based on market location. A bonus may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
#LI-MP1 Apply Now