Build the future, spark innovation and align your career with purpose.
McKinstry is innovating the waste and climate harm out of the built environment and creating lasting impact. Together, we’re building a thriving planet.
Buildings are a leading contributor to the climate crisis, generating nearly 40% of total global energy-related carbon emissions. We’re making a lasting impact on our industry and within our communities by addressing the climate, affordability and equity crises through:
- renewables and energy services
- engineering and design
- construction and facility services
To get where we’re going, we need big thinkers, problem solvers and collaborative mindsets. Does that sound like you?
The Opportunity with McKinstry
Our engineering team is on the hunt for a Principal Electrical Engineer to help scale our mission critical project offering. In this role, you will develop, sell, and lead the delivery of complex mission critical/ data center projects while also growing the team. You will act as a thought leader and subject matter expert internally and represent McKinstry as a respected name in the industry.
Leadership & management:
- Supervise and mentor direct reports. Provide leadership around Engineering mentorship and training initiatives.
Project performance & delivery:
- Lead the development of initial electrical system concepts
- Present complex technical solutions to clients
- Attend and lead client meetings
- Create proposals and launch McKinstry project setup processes to ensure successful initiation.
- Manages PMs and self performs PM duties during growth period to ensure that resource planning, financial planning, billing, and subconsultant coordination occur in a timely fashion.
Business development & financials:
- Support development of offerings with internal and external customers.
- Lead development of proposals and client interviews to sell more.
- Coach/mentor team in development and maintenance of budgets and forecasts/ cost projects and actively support projects that are struggling to meet financial goals (GM, billings, revenue, etc.) with strategies to get back on track.
- Represent the company locally and nationally on technical topics (including working with sales and marketing teams to submit papers for presentation at conferences, owner association meetings, publication in trade and owner journals, serving on and/or chairing standards committees, etc.)
What You Need to Succeed at McKinstry:
- Lead a team and garner respect from team members required.
- Hold team members accountable for deliverables consistent with McKinstry company standards and client expectations required.
- Confident in presenting to clients and guiding their teams to successful program outcomes.
- Comfortable with public speaking engagements, and representation of the company locally and nationally on energy efficiency topics.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following:
- design complex power and other building systems including generator plants, medium voltage distribution, uninterruptible power systems, lighting, fire alarm, and grounding while leading projects and a team of electrical engineers
- familiarity with industry standard software (SKM, ETAP, Easy Power, etc.) to review/prepare studies such as: Load flow studies, fault calculations, Arc Flash, overcurrent coordination studies, duct bank calculations, harmonic studies, etc
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, architectural engineering, or related field required.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years Engineering experience required with ten years in mission critical/data center work preferred.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and concisely, in writing and verbally required.
When it comes to the basics, we have you covered:
- Competitive pay
- 401(k) with employer match and profit-sharing plan
- Paid time off and holidays
- Comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision with low or zero deductible options and low out of pocket maximums
People come first at McKinstry, and we go beyond the basic benefits with:
- Family formation benefits, including adoption and IVF assistance.
- Up to 16 weeks paid parental leave.
- Transgender inclusive benefits
- Commuter benefits
- Pet insurance
- “Building Good” paid community service time.
- Learning and advancement opportunities via McKinstry University.
- McKinstry Moves onsite gyms or reimbursement for remote workers.
See benefit plan documents for complete details.
If you’re driven by our vision to build a thriving planet together, McKinstry is the place to build your career.
The pay range for this position is $120,510- $194,655 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Base pay information is based on market location. A bonus may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
#LI-MA1#LI-Remote Apply Now