The Colorado Energy Performance for Buildings (HB1286) requires large building owners to collect and report energy use via ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager every year. The Colorado Energy Office is currently leading a task force to create the performance standards and program recommendations. Covered buildings must meet designated performance standards on or before June 1, 2027.
- Commercial, multifamily and public buildings greater than 50,000 square feet
- Storage facilities
- Standalone parking garages and airplane hangars that lack heating and cooling
- Buildings where more than half of gross floor area is manufacturing, industrial, or agricultural
- Single-family homes, duplexes, or triplexes
Getting Ready for Compliance
It’s not too early to start planning. On or before December 1, 2022, covered building owners must report benchmarking data for calendar year 2021 energy use. Noncompliant building owners face fines of $2,000-$7,000 per building per year. Public buildings are exempt from certain aspects of the performance standard and fines. McKinstry experts can help you:
- Stay on top of current information
- Navigate the standards and benchmarking program as it unfolds
- Understand your building’s performance
- Building Performance Colorado – benchmarking period is now open
We’re here to guide you. Contact us today to help prepare your buildings.