City of Golden
In December 2006, the City of Golden’s Council identified sustainability as its number one priority for 2007, and entered the Colorado Governor’s Energy Office’s Energy Performance Contracting Program. Through a competitive solicitation, the City chose McKinstry as its sustainability partner.
In November 2007, McKinstry presented an initial list of more than 50 facility improvement measures. From December 2007 to January 2008, we evaluated each measure on the list, and developed cost estimates as well as energy and operational savings to determine payback scenarios. The final list included:
- Lighting retrofits and occupancy sensors in nearly every building, with a major redesign of the Community Center pool lighting to meet code compliance.
- Outdoor lighting retrofits for Dark Sky compliance.
- The Community Center receives new air handling systems, an updated energy management system, and a solar pool heating system with dehumidifier optimization for maximum savings.
- A new boiler and floor insulation was installed in the Public Works Building to create a more comfortable winter working environment.
- McKinstry also evaluated the installation of a small-scale wind turbine for electricity generation and LED street lighting.
McKinstry is working with the City to seek up to half of the total cost of this project in grant funding from the GEO and the Department of Local Affairs. Substantial rebates from Xcel Energy will also benefit this project. Construction was scheduled to start in August 2008 after grant funding is secured.
Owner – City of Golden, CO